ESL Summer School Registration OPENS May 23, 2017
If you wish to improve your English NOW, register ANYTIME for English Language Classes offered mornings, afternoons, evenings and Saturdays. If you are looking for summer programs for your child, visit any of the other Summer Program webpages to find one that suits your children’s interests and needs.
Summer ESL Details
July 4 – August 11, 2017
(closed July 3 for Canada Holiday and August 7 for Civic Holiday)
Monday to Friday
8:30am – 11:30am
12:00pm – 2:30pm
Monday and Wednesday Evenings ** NEW**
To qualify to attend ESL classes at St. Louis, you must be
- an Adult (age 18 years and older)
- Convention Refugee or
- Permanent Resident or
- Landed Immigrant or
- CANADIAN CITIZEN who was a newcomer to Canada at some point in your life and English is not your first language
- Visitor to Canada (additional fees apply)
- at ANY Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level
Once enrolled in one or more Summer ESL classes, students are expected to attend classes regularly.
One-time Summer Materials Fee: $5
ESL Students taking the Customer Service (with Smart Serve Certificate class) pay an additional $27 for the Smart Serve Certificate
- Assessment: $60
- Materials Fee: $40
- Hourly Rate: $7/hour (effective January 9, 2017)
Attention Visitors wanting to take ESL classes: Please call an ESL office 519-745-1201 to book a language assessment. Please bring passport or VISA.
Step 1: Contact the YMCA Language Assessment Centre – 519-579-9622 (Kitchener) / 519-621-1621 (Cambridge). They will book an appointment and tell you what documents to bring. (Visitors to Canada, contact St. Louis at 519-745-1201 directly)
Step 2: Have your English language skills assessed for FREE. They will tell you what your CLB benchmark numbers are and find an English class that’s right for you.
Step 3: Register between May 23 – June 22nd at any Kitchener or Waterloo St. Louis Campus, Monday – Friday, 8:30am-12:30pm. After June 26th, register at St. Mary’s Campus, 77 Young St., Kitchener ONLY, Monday – Friday, 8:15am – 12:15pm.
If you are a NEW ESL student and want to register for ESL Summer School, please bring the following to the St. Louis office:
- Personal documents as identification
- Completed language assessment from the YMCA. If you had a language assessment in the last year, while living in a different community in Ontario, please bring that completed language assessment. (If you have not had an initial assessment or have moved from another province, please see Step 1
Office Hours to Register (by location):
St. Louis – St. Mary’s Campus, 77 Young Street, Kitchener
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 12:30pm
- Monday and Wednesday, 6:30pm – 9:30pm
St. Louis – St. Francis Campus, 154 Gatewood Rd., Kitchener
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 12:30pm
St. Louis – Emmanuel Campus, 22 Bridgeport Rd W., Waterloo
- Tuesday and Friday ONLY, 11:30am-12:45pm
Are you visiting Canada this Summer and would like to improve your English? We offer morning, afternoon AND evening classes over a 6 week period this Summer. If you take advantage of all three class options and have perfect attendance, you will have completed 200 hours of English Language Instruction.
If you are a Visitor to Canada, the assessment process and fees are a bit different for you.
Step 1: Visit any ESL Office, Mon – Fri 8:30am-12:30pm to book an assessment appointment. Do NOT go to the YMCA Assessment Centre.
Step 2: Bring all VISA and Passport information plus $60 assessment fee. Have your language assessed.
Step 3: Register for ESL class. Pay Materials Fee: $40 + Hourly Rate: $7 per hour (paid on a monthly basis)
Step 4: Attend classes (NOW until June 22 and/or from July 4- August 11)
Visitor Assessment Fee = $60
Materials and instructional fees = $40
Hourly rate: $7/hour (paid monthly)