Culinary Arts Skills Training includes pre-apprenticeship Level I and II Cook, PLUS Smart Serve and Safe Food Handling
St. Louis Culinary Arts Certificate program provides opportunities to learn both practical and theoretical knowledge in cooking and hospitality. During this 6-month program, in-class learning and hands-on techniques support the versatility required of today’s professional cook. Safe Food Handling and Smart Serve certifications are included in this certificate program. The number of in-class hours (660) meets College of Trade apprenticeship standards, earn unpaid or *paid work experience (220 hours) and make employer contacts. *Approval may be given to complete work placement at a business where the participant currently holds a part-time job.
A completed Grade 12 diploma is not required to start. In fact, you can earn up to eight elective secondary school credits (if required) toward your high school transcript.
Chefs / Cooks may be employed in a variety of settings including restaurants and cafes, corporate cafeterias, institutional kitchens (nursing homes, hospitals, and educational institutions), hotels, catering businesses, and creative self-employment options emerging in the food service industry.
What you will learn:
- Sanitation, Safety and Equipment
- Food Theory – Basic
- Basic Nutrition
- Culinary Techniques – Basic
- Calculations – Basic
- Bake Theory and Techniques of Baking
- Quantity Food Preparation
- Communications – Basic
- Kitchen Management
- Hands-on Training and Experience
Length of Culinary Program:
- 28 weeks of in-class instruction, including a minimum 3hrs/day hands-on cooking and preparation
- 220-hour work placement
Dates and Time:
- In-class: Monday – Thursday, 8:45 am – 3:30 pm ( No Fridays to accommodate any weekend work opportunities)
- Work placement times may vary
- Next class begins January 17, 2022 – Sign up to take part in one of our future intake sessions
- Douglas Broadwell OCT, Red Seal, In-Class Instructor
- Jennifer Martin, OCT, Co-op Placement Instructor and Supervisor
Tuition fees are paid from Ministry of Education funding. Students pay a materials fee of $1300 for textbooks, uniforms, additional certificates, knife kits and other consumables. Note: $300 non-refundable deposit is payable on acceptance. Remaining $1000 final due date will be given at intake and information session
No refund will be granted after the applicant has attended the first class.