ESL Summer School July 2 – August 9
Available ONLY at St. Mary’s Campus, 77 Young St., Kitchener
Register in-person at ANY St. Louis Campus
St. Francis Campus until June 19
Emmanuel Campus until June 18
St. Mary’s Campus until August 8
If you wish to improve your English NOW, register ANYTIME for English Language Classes offered mornings, afternoons, evenings and Saturdays.
Summer ESL Classes
Don’t stop learning English! It is okay to take a break over the summer, but the longer you are away from class, the harder it is to remember what you have learned.
Students learning English at ALL CLB levels can attend classes in the morning, afternoon and evening!
The following are the times for 2019:
- Morning (8:30am-11:30am), Monday to Friday
- Early afternoon (12:00pm-2:30pm), Monday to Friday
- Evening (6:30pm-9:00pm), Monday and Wednesday
Daytime classes for CLB 3 or higher can focus on Reading/Writing, Listening/Speaking or specialty classes.
Computers and Technology are everywhere! You need them in work, at school, to sign up for recreation programs, to communicate with friends and family around the world and in so many other ways! If you know a little bit about using computers or nothing at all, take this ESL Computers class to find out different ways technology will help you improve your English, find better work, further your education or help you in everyday life.
Offered to students CLB 2+
Monday to Friday – 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Offered to CLB 7+
July 3- Aug 10
Monday to Friday, 8:30am-11:30am
If you are planning to apply for Canadian Citizenship, begin by taking a preparation class and then apply. There is only a short time between applying and writing the test.
St. Louis’ Citizenship Preparation program covers three key components in 9 sessions
- Citizenship test topics are: Geography, History, Government, Voting, Rights & Responsibilities
- Test content and strategies to succeed!
- Citizenship practice test opportunities. Students who took the class and wrote the test received a 90% pass rate!
Offered to students CLB 4+
Monday -Friday (July 2-26) — no class on July 1 for Canada Day holiday
Reading and Writing
Offered to students CLB 3 to CLB 7
July 2-Aug 9
Monday – Friday, 8:30am-11:30am
Listening and Speaking
Offered to students CLB 3 to CLB 7
July 2-August 9
Monday – Friday, 12:00pm-2:30pm
Summer ESL Details
July 2 – August 9, 2018
(closed July 1 for Canada Holiday and August 5 for Civic Holiday)
Monday to Friday
8:30am – 11:30am
12:00pm – 2:30pm
Monday and Wednesday Evenings (July ONLY)
To qualify to attend ESL classes at St. Louis, you must be
- an Adult (age 18 years and older)
- Convention Refugee or
- Permanent Resident or
- Landed Immigrant or
- CANADIAN CITIZEN who was a newcomer to Canada at some point in your life and English is not your first language
- Visitor to Canada (additional fees apply)
- at ANY Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level
Once enrolled in one or more Summer ESL classes, students are expected to attend classes regularly.
One-time Summer Materials Fee: $5
- Assessment: $60
- Materials Fee: $20 for summer
- Hourly Rate: $7/hour (paid in full for summer, in advance)
Attention Visitors wanting to take ESL classes: Please call an ESL office 519-745-1201 to book a language assessment. Bring Passport and Visa information, plus $60 assessment fee.
Contact the YMCA Language Assessment Centre – 519-579-9622 (Kitchener) / 519-621-1621 (Cambridge). They will book an appointment and tell you what documents to bring. (Visitors to Canada, contact St. Louis at 519-745-1201 directly)
Have your English language skills assessed for FREE. They will tell you what your CLB benchmark numbers are and find an English class that’s right for you.
Visit any St. Louis campus during office hours beginning NOW until June 21, Monday – Friday, 8:15am – 12:15pm (see office hours below)
Are you a NEW ESL student?
Do you want to register for ESL Summer School? Please bring the following to the St. Louis office:
- Personal documents as identification
- Completed language assessment from the YMCA.
- If you had a language assessment in the last year, while living in a different community in Ontario, please bring that completed language assessment. If you have not had an initial assessment or have moved from another province, please see Step 1
Office Hours to Register (by location):
St. Louis – St. Mary’s Campus, 77 Young Street, Kitchener
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 12:30pm (until June 21)
- Monday & Tuesday evenings, 6:00pm – 7:30pm (until June 18) – **NO evening registration available June 24 or 25**
- No Summer ESL registration on Saturday mornings
SUMMER ESL Office Hours — June 24 – Aug 8
- June 24 – 28 — Monday to Friday, 8:15am – 12:15pm
- July 1 (Canada Day) – Closed
- July 2-5 — Tuesday – Friday, 8:15am – 12:15pm
- July 8 – August 2 — Monday to Friday, 8:15am – 12:15pm
- Aug 5 (Civic Holiday) – Closed
- Aug 6-8 — Tuesday – Thursday, 8:15am – 12:15pm
- Aug 9 – LAST SUMMER ESL CLASS
Summer Evening class registration hours:
- July 3 — Wednesday, 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- July 8 — Monday, 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- July 10 — Wednesday, 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- Evening registration closed July 11 until September 10
St. Louis – St. Francis Campus, 154 Gatewood Rd., Kitchener
OPEN NOW until Wednesday, June 19
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 12:30pm
St. Louis – Emmanuel Campus, 22 Bridgeport Rd W., Waterloo
OPEN NOW until Tuesday, June 18
- Tuesday and Friday, 11:30am -12:45pm
St. Louis – St. Benedict Campus, 50 Saginaw, Cambridge (behind St. Benedict Catholic Secondary School off of Green Vista Drive) SPEAK WITH ESL INSTRUCTOR about Summer registration.
Do you currently ATTEND ESL or LINC classes at another location?
Visit any of the above locations to Register in-person.
Are you visiting Canada this Summer and would like to improve your English? We offer morning, afternoon AND evening classes over a 6 week period this Summer. If you take advantage of all three class options and have perfect attendance, you will have completed 200 hours of English Language Instruction.
If you are a Visitor to Canada, the assessment process and fees are a bit different for you.
Contact the YMCA Language Assessment Centre first– 519-579-9622 (Kitchener) / 519-621-1621 (Cambridge). They will determine if you are eligible for a free language assessment.
If you are not eligible for an assessment with the YMCA, contact a St. Louis ESL office Mon – Fri 8:30am-12:30pm to book an assessment appointment.
Bring all VISA and Passport information plus $60 assessment fee. Have your language assessed at St. Louis. You will learn what your CLB benchmark numbers are and we will find an English class that’s right for you.
Register for ESL class. Pay Materials Fee: $20 for the summer + Hourly Rate: $7 per hour (paid for the whole month in advance)
Attend classes (from July 2- August 9, 2018)
Visitor Assessment Fee = $60
Materials and instructional fees = $20 for the summer
Hourly rate: $7/hour (paid for whole summer in advance)