What is Summer Expedition?
Summer Expedition is a FREE learning journey for students currently enrolled in or going into Gr. 7 & 8 in September. Spend some time this summer finding alternative, fun, engaging activities, infused with educational lessons in literacy and numeracy, to help them prepare for the next grade level. Summer Expedition will give students confidence, create new excitement about learning, and fill some of the learning gaps using visual literacy tools, math, coding and technology and blended interactive activities.
What will they learn?
Deep learning opportunities come from discovering cave paintings from around the world, Indigenous oral history with art, documentary films made by and for children and even the storytelling behind video games.
Summer Expedition – The Discovery Lens will include a collection of tasks and tools that students will find meaningful, educational and fun.
- basic movie making
- stop-motion animation
- and other visual literacy options
What is Visual Literacy?
Students at the Intermediate grades are at critical stage in their learning and literacy development that now goes beyond the mechanics of language. We are encouraging the development of research skills, critical thinking and how to convey meaning, thoughts and ideas through reading, writing, as well as creating static and moving images. In this digital age especially, it is more essential than ever that our students develop the necessary visual literacy skills to navigate this image-intense world we live in.
Visual literacy is about language, communication and interaction.
Visual media can be any linguistic tool with which we communicate, exchange ideas and navigate our highly visual digital world.
Summer Expedition –The Discovery Lens will develop literacy skills in all forms.
Why is Visual Literacy Important?
Information comes at our students in both written text and images. It is vital that our students are fully equipped to process all forms of information, even if they are digital natives.
- Visual information is 65% more memorable when text is paired with images
- 90% of information transferred to the brain is visual
- Helps students communicate with the world around them – interpreting and creating images to convey meaning
- Enriches deeper levels of meaning and understanding
- Enjoy learning more when they are engaged and understand context, techniques and story behind image or media consumed
- Creates more critical thinkers and educated image readers